Monday, 20 September 2010

SA Scrapbooking Convention 2010 Report Back

Last weekend I attended the SA Scrapbooking Convention and boy oh boy was it F-U-N!!!!  I had won a free ticket last year for my quilling entry in the papercraft competition and so with bags packed, photos printed and excitement at a high.. the weekend began.  It was great doing the classes with my friend Theresa.... we chatted, laughed, scrapped and won prizes together.


Saturday 11 Sept
Our first class was with Debby Schuh using product from October Afternoon....

We made a little mini album which unfortunately I can't show you as I haven't finished it yet... must find pics to put in it then I will show you.... I just love the use of the double sided papers... fold it, turn it, ink it and you have a whole new look! Theresa won a full pack of paper in a lucky draw in this class.

After tea we did a much more relaxed class with Nic Howard from Australia using Prima product.....

I was soooooooo chuffed as my photos matched the papers perfectly and I actually finished this page in class... an absolute first for me!

After a yummy buffet lunch... with awesome chocolate dessert we topped the day off with the class by Candice Greenway.... now this I think was definitely the highlight of the whole weekend for a lot of us!  I was super excited to be doing this class... learning how Candice puts her awesome layouts together and then making a masterpiece just like hers.

AND.... I won the clock that you see Candice holding... she had a "the first one up on your chair and dancing will win".... and there I was up and waving my arms... hehehe... little ol' introvert that I am!!!

I never saw the sketch for Candice's layout but had a vague idea what it would be so my photos actually went opposite to how they should, so I just swoped my left and right pages around and made it work... and I LOVE it.... thanks Candice for an absolutely awesome class.  We used Die Cuts with a View product in this class plus rubons that Candice had designed herself especially... and they are gorgeous!

And my clock is already up in my scraproom ticking away!

After these three classes there was then the charity scrap for Homestead... we had to buy a kit and then scrap a page... I like my page but must admit that the lady who won blew me away.... how do they come up with such awesome pages in such a short time?

Oh and there were lucky draws all through the evening and I won...

Then it was off home and to bed... not that I had tooooo much sleep as part of my brain just wouldn't switch off.

Sunday 12 September
Our first class of the day was with Tracie Hudson from the UK... she represented Sassafrass.
What can I saw about the layout that we did.... it is gorgeous!!!  And again my photos matched beautifully.
I just about finished this page in class... just had to do the stitching and add the title once I got home.

After morning tea... where unfortunately we missed out on the eats and barely got coffee.... we had the class with Jodi Sanford from Fancy Pants Design
What a lovely lady... and such a fun class too... Again my photos matched and I managed to just about finish the layout.

All through the day there were lots of lucky draws in the different classes with lovely product being given away... and I won a gorgeous set of stamps in the Fancy Pants class.

We again had a very yummy lunch.... though Theresa and I battled to find somewhere to sit at first!  Now on a rather full stomach we had our last class of the weekend... with Jeri Tanner from Bo Bunny

As much as I love Bo Bunny and their products I must say this class, at first glance, was a disappointment to me... the layouts weren't anywhere near the standard of the others.... but to make it work I changed things up a bit and now I'm chuffed with my layout

On the right side page of this layout there is a spinner wheel which, when turned, shows more photos and journalling.

There was a second layout in this class but I really really don't like it... just tooooooooooo much purple and lime green in it.... not me!!! So I won't be doing that one.

And that is the end of Convention for another year.  Who knows if I will go again... I would much rather volunteer... yes it's hard work but I actually enjoy it.

One thing I definitely will take from this year's Convention is how to use patterned paper different... so often I see a piece of paper I like and use it as my background in it's entirety.... well no more!  Cut it, tear it, roll it, distress it... but definitely use it!!

A huge thank you to Glenda and her team... and all the volunteers ... for their hard work in making this event the success it was.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, you sure worked fast...great LOs...

Stefanie said...

I went to the retailers day in Cape Town. We created with Red October and I enjoyed meeting Debby Shuh too.
I think of the LO's you showed us, Candace's seems the best, full of delight and so much to look at.
I think she is a real star.

tania said...

What a great post Cathy, and I am so greeeeen!! the layouts are looking amazing:) i love candice greenway!!

~*{ Michelle }*~ said...

Love all your convention LO's Cathy. My favourite is the one that you made for the Charity Scrap challenge! It's awesome! Congratulations on winning so much stuff! I didn't even win one thing but I won so many new friends and that is priceless! :):):):)